Sunday, March 22, 2015

50 ways to leave your blubber(ing on)

This month this blog is a decade old! It's been one heck of a journey! 

The Daily Magnet has seen me through under-grad, 10 YEARS of journalism practice and practise, raising my wee littlees until they were giants, and, 4 PMs & 3 changes of government!

Twaddling on through injustices, heartbreaks, epiphanies and long-distance friendships, The Daily Magnet has bridged so many gaps, but now, it's time for something new.

Over the last few years the posts have been becoming less and less frequent, to the point that finding time to pay attention to TDM became a bit burdensome.

The decrepit microfiche scanning equipment at the State Library was the big killer, I think.

After two days of scanning through the June-August 2014 newspapers to analyze the really appalling and inflammatory media content during the lead up to the last war in Gaza, I found that the scans were just never going to be salvagable even by really scrupulous image editing. I just came to the realization that big projects need to be some place other than my hobby blog.

You see, I'm doing my PhD and I just don't have a lot of time, time, time at the moment. Sorry crew, but you can catch up on @magnetticism

Racial and gender bias media offenders aren't off my radar and if you have dramas of this kind, I'd love to hear about them - tweet/direct message me on twitter about your experiences - The Daily Magnet is an equal opportunity listener - everyone's grizzles are equal & meritorious.


As much as I love the old TDM stuff and, there are some posts I will transfer to my new website, I've grown, technology has changed (exponentially), and my writing interests have become more sophisitimicated-loik. So TDM just doesn't express where I am at - for the time being, anyway. I can't get back into it's groove after doing big girl writing, anymore.  Maybe after I finish my PhD, I will feel the need to re-visit it.

I will be shifting my blog off-line in about a month's time & transferring some of the posts that I am fond of over to my work website, which will have a blog attached to it - but it won't be The Daily Magnet anymore. I will be selling stories and e-books directly from it, as well.

Over the years, this blog has drawn some interest from some interesting people and a loyal following of the cyber-unclean - spammers {thanks for dropping by on Twitter, you guys get an A for endurance and tenacity in the face of sheer unpopularity, which is something I've always admired, as a journo}.

I've also had some real paranoid automatons speculate about the reasons I have written certain posts/analyses, AND, some of the people who are mentioned in the news stories obsessively checking themselves out - LOL!

Due to issues that we've moved beyond over the years  - like crazy stalking exes etc., I won't be giving you the heads-up here about my new website details. "It's not me, it's you..."

I want to say thanks to those wonderful long-distance friends who, over the last decade, have been so supportive - I don't recall names - you know what they say about discretion and valour.

Plus, a big thanks also to those who kept me in your prayers & thoughts through times of 'peak official flak' - I'm still standing.